As a runner, I’ve found how important it is for me to find the right personal nutritional balance.
Before heading out for a run, I like to pick a snack with plenty of carbohydrates, but not too much fat, fiber or protein (which could slow digestion, and cause “issues” on the run). For me, good choices are a banana or a little peanut butter on toast.
My favorite go-to fueling snack, however, is the Almond Butter Banana Breakfast Bars presented below. With these, I not only properly fuel myslef for the long haul, but also feel like I am indulging at the same time.
These bars are packed with goodness: almond butter, bananas, rolled oats and dried fruit. Tasty, energizing and filling.
Prepared in advance, these are a perfect grab and go breakfast, or an ideal midday snack for those of us who are in the midst of ramping up our mileage.
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup dried raisins (or other dried fruit)
1/2 cup finely ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup almond butter, smooth
2 bananas, ripe and mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix your dry ingredients in one bowk, and your wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine the two mixtures, stirring gently until throughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into a pan, evenly patting it down.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Use a fork to make sure they are done. Enjoy!
Share this post: