Racing in Full Force » Oklahoma Sports & Fitness Athlete Blog | Running | Triathlon | Cycling | Fitness | Martial Arts | Powered by Oklahoma Sports & Fitness Magazine

Sep 252014

I have been running for 20 years, and I continue to learn more and more about the sport. I have always enjoyed racing. In the past, I would enter a 5K, 10K, or half marathon every weekend.

I recently took about a 2 year break from racing every week. I still raced a little, but it was usually a destination marathon or a race of significance to me. I was logging just as many, if not more training miles, but not racing.

With my recent move to Tulsa and now having a job where I do not have to work on the weekends, I have jumped back onto the racing seen in full force. I’ve been to Oklahoma City twice recently, and this past weekend I ran three races in two days. How did I feel on Monday after those three races? TIRED!!!  But — not injured, so that is a bonus.


I began the weekend with the Quarter Marathon on Saturday morning in Tulsa. The race went well — not spectacular, but not terrible. The first 3 miles were nice and easy. We started in downtown Tulsa, ran to Riverside, and then headed back to downtown to battle the hills. I managed to come out ahead and finish as the first female. After the race, I went home to rest up for race #2 which was later that evening.


Race #2 was the Corndog Classic 5K. I was a little nervous for this one because it involved eating a caramel apple and a corndog, and drinking a beer during the race. Plus, I was still a little tired from the race earlier that day.

I started the Corndog Classic faster than I expected. My legs felt heavy, but for some reason they were moving! I flew into the first stop which was the caramel apple. I grabbed the cup and shoved the piece of apple in my mouth. I didn’t really stop, and kept running while chewing. I did choke a little on a piece of apple, but it was nothing serious (and it didn’t slow me down).

The next stop was the beer. This was easy, as I have done the McNellies Guinness Challenge many times. Last was the corndog. Again, I just grabbed the cup, shoved the dog in my mouth and kept running. I crossed the finish line as the first female for the second time that day.


Race #3 was the Red Dirt Shuffle, a trail half marathon at Lake McMurtry in Stillwater, OK. My legs seemed to feel great, until I started running. I then realized how tired and heavy they were. The first mile was difficult, but then I got into a nice groove. Miles 2-7 went well. I passed two males and made up some ground.

Around 7 1/2 miles, I felt like I needed to just lay down on the ground and go to sleep. Then — I tripped and fell. I got up and checked for damage. I was fine, so I kept running. I lost some confidence after the fall. I really had to talk myself into not giving up. I felt a little out of it from then on. I may have been slightly dehydrated. As if I didn’t feel bad enough, I came around a corner and smacked my head on a low lying tree branch. Awesome, this was exactly what I needed…  Oh well, I shook it off and kept putting one foot in front of the other.

The distance of a half marathon is 13.1 miles. When I hit 13.1 miles, I came to an aid station. This was not a good sign. Soon, I was at 13.5, then 13.7, where was the finish line??? After the confusion, I finally saw it and crossed at 14.1 miles. I guess I ran a half +1. I still managed to secure the first female spot. After that, I jumped right into the cold water of Lake McMurtray, and it felt great! A nice ice bath after three races.

I woke up Monday morning extremely tired. Needless to say, I did not get up and run. Interestingly enough, my legs didn’t hurt that bad. I had more pain in my arms from falling and in my head from hitting the tree, than in my legs. Halfway through the day, I felt extremely worn out. I went to bed at 8:00 Monday night!

2 days, 3 races, and 3 wins. I’m feeling pretty good about my fitness level and running ability at this point in time. I have been logging the miles and doing some speed workouts. The hard work is definitely paying off. It helps to have a very supportive fiance, Aaron, and work for Dr. Chris Barnes — the best sports chiropractor in the state.

I have 4 more days to recover until I fly out to Salt Lake City for marathon #69.



Share this post:


 Leave a Reply




You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>